The Professional Science Masters
Professional Science Master's Degree in Medical Physics
The PSM-Medical Physics is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation on Medical Physics Education (CAMPEP) http://www.campep.org/campeplstgrad.asp
The medical physics option of the professional science master's degree program is a joint program between the Departments of Physics and Radiation Oncology. The program provides didactic and clinical training in medical physics. Founded in 2007, this program is CAMPEP accredited.
Students who choose this program will be involved in course work covering radiation physics, imaging physics, radiation oncology physics, radiation safety, radiation biology and business. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in a clinical radiation oncology physics internship. This internship will provide extensive training in radiation oncology physics including linear accelerator calibration, treatment planning, quality assurance, chart checking, external beam radiotherapy, brachytherapy and imaging. Imaging internships may be arranged for interested students. Students who complete this track will be well prepared for part 1 of the American Board of Radiology certification exam and will be ready to enter a medical physics residency program.
Research is an essential part of this program. Each student will be involved in a research project over the course of the time in the program. Student research projects are generally clinical in nature but opportunities for basic science projects are possible.
The PSM-Medical Physics program also requires at least one business course as part of the program. Professional medical physicists are often involved in the business side of medicine and our program provides preparation for these duties. Graduating students will be able to adapt the business side of medical physics and provide knowledgeable contributions to their employers.
APPLICATIONS (INCLUDING ALL MATERIALS REQUIRED BELOW) ARE TO BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
January 31, Domestic students
December 31, International students
Minimum Admission Requirements:
- GPA 3.0
- General GRE required, physics subject test or related area strongly recommended but not required.
- Completed bachelor's degree (or the equivalent) in physics, nuclear engineering, health physics, medical physics, or other engineering (alternative preparation will be considered on a case-by-case basis but must include equivalence to a minor in physics including at least three upper division physics courses).
- 3 letters of recommendation from qualified individuals (provide contact info as part of online application)
- Statement of purpose: short essay describing interest in the Professional Science Master's Degree Program in Medical Physics at the University of Arizona and how it fits in with your scientific and career goals
- List of upper division physics courses taken and name of texts used.
In addition to the above requirements, international students are also required to have the following:
- TOEFL 550
- TSE minimum 45
- Financial Guarantee Form
Typical Admitted Scores (2007-2014):
- GPA 3.5
- General GRE (Verbal - 550: Quantitative – 750: Analytical – 4.0)
Average Admitted Scores 2015
GPA 3.35, GRE - Q 158.9, V 150, Wr 3.57, TOEFL 80
Program Statistics (2007-2013)
|number of applicants||14||4||12||14||8||5||12||16||15||13||25||10||12|
|number of students offered admission||6||2||6||8||3||4||6||6||7||0||11||2||0|
|number of students matriculating||4||1||3||4||3||4||5||3||4||0||5||2||0|
|number of students graduating||N/A||N/A||4||1||3||4||1||4||3||4||3||0||4|
|number in residencies||N/A||N/A||1||0||1||2||0||2||1||2||2||0||2|
|number in advanced degree programs||N/A||N/A||1||1||0||0||0||0||2||1||0||0||1|
|number in industry||N/A||N/A||1||0||1||1||1||2||0||1||0||0||1|
|number in clinical positions||N/A||N/A||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0|
|number in academic positions||N/A||N/A||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|number in other activities||N/A||N/A||0||0||1*||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
If you have additional questions regarding the online admissions process, please contact Gardie Lueders (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You may start your application here: ONLINE